Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Cure To Boredom List From the Rearview (Spring/Summer 2014)


Spring/Summer 2014
In The Rearview


In the beginning of the season I created an 'adventure to do list'. It is a way to get me to focus and plan things that will keep me from ever feeling like I am bored. It also holds me accountable for my own personal growth and happiness by planning intentional activities. It was something that I learned a while ago without realizing what it was exactly. I just recently read something about this in a blog my partner Christina did. Then I saw a documentary called 'Happy' that talked about intentional activities on WOSU TV. It made me proud to know I have been on the right track for some time now. The last thing I knew I would be doing was posting an update of what I actually got accomplished on my list. Again, accountability! So here goes a recap of  what I got to experience. I left the ones I did not accomplish in red and will update them in this post in the future. Seven out of ten is still pretty good.


1.  Go Canoeing (In spite of me not knowing how to swim.)

This was the first thing I knew I needed to do. For two years I have been saying I would go canoeing and before I knew it, it was winter and I'd missed my opportunity. So I made sure to include the activity on my list. It was also something that was a little scary to me and I believe in doing the things that scare you. I was a little nervous the Sunday I decided to go canoeing. I strapped on my life jacket and once I got in the canoe, I had a blast. I am not great at it, I ran into a few logs but at the end, I understood how to correct my mistakes and was steering the canoe. Check!

Me at Hocking Hills Adventures Canoe Livery


2.  Use my Picnic Basket 

I used my picnic basket once this season when I spent the day with my nephew at Slate Run Farm. I did not take any photos. I hope that I can use the basket at least once more before it gets cold and plenty more next summer.
 
3.  Go on the Short North Columbus Food Adventures Tour

My sister came on the dessert tour with me last year for my birthday and expressed interest in the Short North Tour. I decided to treat her to the Short North food tour in August for her birthday. The tour, which is generally on Saturdays was also offered Fridays this summer. We spent the Friday after her birthday restaurant hopping with the tour guide through the Short North which started at The North Market and ended at Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream. I love these tours because it gives you an opportunity to check out restaurants without investing a lot of money on a meal you may not enjoy; though I have never had that problem with the Short North or Columbus Food Adventures. Now that I have crossed this tour off my to do list, they just added two more tours I have to checkout, the Grandview Tour and the Breakfast Tour.

Columbus Food Adventures Short North Tour

4.  Take a ride on the Valley Gem Sternwheeler in Marietta
I will add it to my list next year.


5.  Visit downtown Yellow Springs
  
I'd visited Yellow Springs a few times to go to Young's Jersey Dairy and that was the only place I'd seen in the city. I decided I would make an effort to visit the downtown area after hearing so many good things about it. I enjoyed all of the public art and the little shops. There trees are decorated and you will see a few barefoot people if the weather is nice. The smell of frankincense and marijuana is also very prevalent through the streets. Well, at least it was the day I was there.
Colorful Yellow Springs




6.  See BeyoncĂ© & Jay Z on their On the Run Tour  Cincinatti 6/28

Like many other people, I was at the baseball stadium in Cincinnati rocking to Bey and Jay on June 28th. My long time friend and I drove to Cincy for an overnight to have an epic experience. This was one of the best concerts I have seen and I would have gone to another city to see it again if I had the time. Loved it! Check!
Me at the Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati


7.  Take a nature walk at least once a month in Ohio's many parks

I wanted to make this a goal so that I would be more active. While I did not complete the goal, I did try very hard. I started strong in May with two nature walks. I did a nature walk in June, July and August. September I did nothing. I could have checked it off but I won't lie to myself. While I was on my best behavior, I took some photos I love. I will share them even if I did not satisfy the goal.




8.  Taste Durian (a fruit from Thailand)

9.  Check five restaurants off my 'Eating Your Way Across Ohio' book

I was really excited about this book when I got it. I love to travel and I love to eat. The book is a great way to do both. When I got the book, I'd already visited 7  restaurants featured. I checked out two restaurants over the winter. As spring started to approach, I made it my mission to check out five more before fall.  I did complete the goal and that brought me to two cities I'd never been to. The goal also brought me back to check out a few restaurants in cities I have frequented but not had the chance to dine until recently.  My favorite meals were at the Old Canal Smoke House and Dock's Beach House, so you will find them among the three food photos I posted.  Don't be surprised  to see this in my next couple lists in the future.


1. The Golden Jersey Inn (Yellow Springs)
2. The Warehouse Steak n' Stein (Coshocton) 
3. Old Canal Smoke House (Chillicothe)
4. Dock's Beach House (Port Clinton)
5. The Longaberger Homestead Restaurant (Frazeysburg)



Dock's Beach House
Old Canal Smoke House BBQ Meal, The Golden Jersey Inn & Mahi Mahi at the Dock's Beach House
The Warehouse Steak n' Stein


10. Go to a Columbus Clippers Game

Huntington Park has been opened a while now and every year since, I have been saying I will go to a game. Finally I made it there. It almost did not happen.  That day it seemed as if the clouds would open and drench us. My hair was frizzing up from the moisture in the air. It was date night , so we said what the heck. While standing in line we were given free tickets from two women who got them free from work. It was meant to be. I had a great time, great hotdog and the weather held up.  I look forward to going to more games next season.

Huntington Park Baseball Stadium

It is a new season so I am creating my list for Fall/Winter 2014-2015. The lists make a big difference in helping me do the things I really want to do. I doubt I would have done what I did this summer without my spring/summer list.  If there are things that you have been wanting to do for a while now, you should create your own list. It can be a seasonal list, monthly list or a list for the year.  Let me know what you think I should add to my winter list. I would also love to hear what you have on your list.


Until Next Time!

Be Blessed! Be Free! Be Adventurous!
Kris,


No comments:

Post a Comment