Friday, September 19, 2014

A Festival For Pawpaw



I love a festival anytime of the year but in the warmer seasons the selections are plenty. I checked out a festival this past weekend that was on my to do list. I read about it some time ago in a article that listed some of the strangest festivals in the world and never forgot about it. Saturday I walked through the gates of the Ohio Pawpaw Festival and learned so much about the forgotten fruit that this festival is all about.  The pawpaw is not something you can find in your grocery store and few fruit markets carry it. Most times, access to this fruit means you have picked it straight from the tree it grows on. I learned this week that you can find pawpaw at the North Market in Columbus when it is in season. Had I not gone to the festival, I may not have had the courage to try or purchase the fruit otherwise. Once at the festival,  I was intrigued by the idea of a tropical like fruit that grew in the Midwest, mango like in look and part banana and  melon in taste. The foodie in me went straight for the pawpaw vendor options. Food vendors are required to incorporate pawpaw in their menus for the Festival. I wanted to taste the fruit in as many possible ways as I could. I tried pawpaw salsa, pawpaw pulled pork, pawpaw beer and fresh pawpaw. I purchased some fresh pawpaw and some pawpaw salad dressing to take home . Other than the unique object of the festival, a totem pole and the hippie atmosphere, the festival seemed familiar. There was live music, food, artisans, animals and a kiddie activity area.


I enjoyed my experience at the festival. I discovered I love pawpaw. I bought a cool bracelet and recycled tote. Most importantly, I crossed another festival off my to do list.



A FEW PAWPAW FACTS

1. Chilled North America Pawpaw was George Washington's Favorite
 Dessert
2. It is North America's Largest Native Fruit
3. Pawpaw has a short season that starts in September and ends in October


 


Be Blessed! Be Free! Be Fashionable!
Be Adventurous!
Kris,






No comments:

Post a Comment