Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Count Down to BDay 2014

Every year I get to see a Birthday is a blessing,I embrace getting older. I believe it is a gift and a privilege. We don't all get the same amount of time and the next day is never promised. With that said, I choose to treat each Birthday as a holiday. The main day is the most important but I plan small celebrations or activities throughout the month. My birthday is October 30th and I will be thirty-three this year. This Thursday I am not certain what I will be doing but if I wake up that morning I will be grateful. If I am blessed to see the weekend, I will continue the celebration. For now, I want to share with you some of the things I have been up to this month as part of my celebration.


Hakuna Matata

I have wanted to see The Lion King on Broadway for as long as it has existed. People who'd seen it before me told me about the beautiful costumes and how I would really love and appreciate it because I am an artist and designer. When I heard it was coming to Columbus, I knew I had to go see it. I told my mom that I wanted tickets for my birthday and the rest is history. I saw the show two weeks ago with my nephew. I was overwhelmed by the presentation. It was so intense and visually stunning. It was far more than I anticipated even after the feedback I got from those who attended previously. I was overwhelmed by the colorful cast and the positive homage to the continent in which the story takes place, Africa. I also really appreciated how the production managed to use so much of the beautiful and historic Ohio Theatre. There were characters in the balconies and walking down the aisles. I am a fan!! I will see it again in the future.The production leaves Columbus November 9th. There are still tickets left for the Columbus presentations. If you can't make it before then, they return to Ohio next year on March 31, at the Aronoff Center for the Arts in Cincinnati. For the rest of the tour stops visit The Lion King website.



Breakfast With Nick

Saturday morning I spent 3.5 hours with Dr.Breakfast. Nick Dekker is a Columbus, Ohio blogger and author of both the blog and book titled 'Breakfast with Nick'. I have been following his blog for some time now and recently purchased his book after first checking it out at the library. So when I learned that Dr. Breakfast and Columbus Food Adventures were teaming up for a Breakfast Tour, I was elated. The first tour was October 18th and filled up faster than I could get signed up. CFA has a passport program that rewards loyal customers with a free tour after collecting four stamps from purchased tours.I got my passports mailed out in time to be the last participant on the second tour. By then, the kinks had been worked out and I am sure the pressure was greatly reduced for Nick. He was very informative and by far the friendliest guide I have had during a CFA tour. Obviously, they are all friendly, after all, this was my fifth tour.

I have done a tour at the end of October for the last three years. Last year I did two. I have done the German Village and Short North walking tours, the Dessert Tour and the Taco Truck tour but this was by far my favorite tour. There is something very special about getting a tour of great breakfast spots by Dr. Breakfast himself. I admit, I am a fan. The tour gives his readers the opportunity to actually break bread with the man himself. He is easy going and makes it very comfortable to ask questions. He comes across believable and trustworthy. His choices in stops were brilliant, offering variety and food selections that were rare and special. For the brunch lovers, we got to indulge in two small plates; a chicken and waffle along with a mini pancake with maple pulled pork. At the same spot we also got a small Bloody Mary that we whipped up ourselves from the Bloody Mary bar. Ethyl and Tank, the brunch spot was the only place I had not been. Some of the other stops included Buckeye Donuts where we got to sample various donuts and listened to owner Jimmy's stories of famous patrons such as music legend, The Ol'So Fabulous Prince. Other offerings from the five tour stops were a 'Buckeye Pancake', a pancake with chocolate and peanut butter, a gravy covered piece of work called a 'Gut Buster', a Latin dish with chorizo and tortillas and a  'Doughssant'. The Doughssant, also known to some as the Cronut has been offered through the Auddino family in Columbus/Hillard for twenty years. You can find the 'Doughssant' at Auddino's Bakery & Cafe. I left the tour feeling full but not uncomfortable. I had to follow the tour with a long walk through the Short North.




The Zombie Escape

Occasionally I come across an activity in the city that blows my mind. I was browsing Experience Columbus when I found Room Escape Adventures and the 'Trapped in a Room with a Zombie' show. Lately all we have heard from doctors is how we need to pay more attention to our brain. It has been suggested to maintain a healthy brain and memory that our brain needs exercise.  This show is definitely a good way to do that. You are locked in a room for an hour with a zombie chained to a piece of furniture. You are forced to think through riddles and look for clues all while the zombie is trying to get you. The chain is released a foot every five minutes, so the zombie is getting closer and closer to you as time goes on. Teamwork is very necessary whether you know the people you are working with or not. Of all the cities where this company operates the show which includes big cities like: Los Angeles, New York and Atlanta, only 32% of the groups participating have won. Luckily we were among that percentile, escaping with just under two minutes left of the hour. 

I found the show to be amusing and challenging. I was able to offer some assistance during the game but found myself stuck many times. At the end the host will answer any questions you have and give you a run down of the highlights of your game. He announces a MVP and the people who helped the game along. I was happy to hear my name in the credits even though I knew what I'd done. Everyone loves a pat on the back.  This was something unique and interesting to do. They have been doing this show since February of this year but if you are looking for something fun to do for Halloween, there are still tickets left. However, there is no rush, you can also schedule for a show up until December. Should you go, look for my group photo. If you beat the game, you are added to the 'Wall of Fame'.

image courtesy of savvycities.com

The older I get, the less I want things. I have come to value experiences more. This year I have made sure to do things that I have always wanted to do and expose myself to a plethora of new experiences. That is what this blog is supposed to be about. I hope that you have enjoyed my entries so far this year. I have been inspired by so many people in my life, I hope that I have projected that same inspiration onto you as well. 

I would love to know!
What do you do special for your birthday? 
Or
What are your birthday plans for your next birthday?

Until Next Time,
Be Blessed! Be Free!BE Adventurous!
Kris, 


No comments:

Post a Comment