Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Music is Healing






photo courtesy of  theforeignexchangemusic.com



Lately I have attended more than a few shows. Last night a friend invited me to check out Foreign Exchange. I can't say I was that familiar with the band but I am glad I now know who they are. When I was asked to go, I had to do a little research. Even though I knew I was most likely going regardless, I found myself online listening to their music and reading their background story. The music was jazzy and soulful. It was in the same realm of artists I already really loved like Raheem Devaughn, Musiq Soulchild and Eric Roberson.  Although the venue was small, humid and a little funky with the abundance of mostly brown people, I found myself filled with joy as I danced, sang and laughed. Be it that I am under five foot, I can't say I saw much but that is how I know it was a good show. One of the things I remember was Phonte asking us to repeat the words " music is healing" to the person to the left and right of us.  Yes it is.

Saturday was the K.Michelle concert. That experience was much different from the one I had last night. The crowd was interesting and the venue was less than desirable but once the music began, nothing else much mattered. My aching feet and attitude was forgotten for a short twenty minutes. I can't say it was the best show I'd been to but the effect of it confirms that music really does make such a difference in our lives and moods.



I saw Cher last month and before that I went to the Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson show. Both of those shows made me think about my happy childhood. I remembered what my parents and friends were playing on their stereos before there were iPods and iPads. The shows were also so colorful and full of activity that you couldn't help but force out negative distractions. These shows felt like an escape from the outside world, a few hours of a fantasy or vacation.


Music is healing. It is the only thing in the world that can stir up so many feelings and remind us where we have been, where we want to go or where we don't want to go.  It can
 make us wait in long lines in uncomfortable shoes or sleep outside for a concert. It 
can remind us of our first crush, first dance or favorite vacation. It makes us laugh, cry, happy and energetic. It can make us feel confident and sexy. It can help us through a break up or teach us how to make up.  Music provides a soundtrack to our lives. Music is healing. Yes it is.

After a hard days work and you are driving in your car today listening to your cd, or the radio, think of it as therapy. Think about how the music makes you feel or don't think at all, lose yourself in the music, scream the words out loud and just sway to the beat.

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments:

Post a Comment