Monday, October 17, 2016

Summer 2016

The summer was full of first experiences, mixed in with some familiar ones. I traveled near and far. I explored new territory. I partied like I was 21 again and payed for it for a month after. I didn't do a Spring/Summer to do list but I promised myself I would say yes to whatever people asked me to do that was logically and financially reasonable. While I am thinking about the plans for my Fall/Winter season, I thought I would highlight some of my favorite moments from my Spring/Summer 2016 seasons.

Comfest  2016
10. I planted the best garden yet.

I have been gardening for years but this year I worked harder than ever to create my dream garden. Too bad that I get bored with it after a while, but I tried to keep it weeded, well up until August this year. This has been the best yielding garden because I am still harvesting lettuce, tomatoes, green beans and beets. 

1. Beets by Kris 2. Heirloom tomatoes 3. My hand painted garden markers 4.Lettuce variety


9. I Visited Wylie the Walleye.

Sometimes you have to drive a couple hours away to eat a great fish sandwich. This was my second year visiting the Port Clinton Walleye Festival. I literally went for the sandwich and left, but the sandwich is so great that the trip deserved to be mentioned.

Dancing with Wylie the Walleye at the Walleye Festival in Port Clinton.
 

8. I Enjoyed Some Dirty Dancing.

After all of the back and fourth with the Janet Jackson Concert, is she or isn't she, I returned my tickets and used my credit toward two tickets to see Dirty Dancing the Musical on Broadway when they came to Columbus. I took the only other person who I thought would appreciate it, my sister. We were obsessed with the movie as kids. The show was pretty great!

Play Bill from Dirty Dancing

 
7.  I Got Trapped in the Room with a Zombie Again & then Again.

Even though I already did the first Trapped in the Room with a Zombie a few years ago, I did it again as a planned group event for my friend's birthday. Then I treated my sister to Trapped in a Room with a Zombie Part 2 (Still Hungry) a couple months later. Even though you know the zombies aren't real, it's such an adrenaline rush.

Still Hungry with my little sister
 
6. I faced my fear of power tools.

This summer I began making my own beads out of wood scrap from my friend's wood shop. I have used power tools several times but have always been a little anxious about it, fearing I would hurt myself. I am now very comfortable using a drill and hand sanders. I have created some of the best jewelry pieces I have ever made. I am now working on getting comfortable with the saws.

Necklace created with vintage and handmade beads.


5. I checked off another Columbus Food Adventure Tour.

I  have been obsessed with this company's food tours and food tours in general. Earlier this spring I crossed the Grandview Walking Tour off my list. I enjoyed it as I have the other tour itineraries, that Columbus Food Adventure's offers. 

Berries with balsamic and cream from the Oilerie. Columbus Food Adventures Grandview Walking Tour


4. I spent a day in Toledo.

I spent a day during the July 4, weekend in Toledo exploring the city. My trip included a few hours at the Toledo Zoo, a Hungarian hotdog from Tony Packo's original location, a flight of brews from Maumee Bay Brewing Co. and some smores at Maumee Bay State Park. It was one of the best Ohio day trips I have taken.

Toledo Zoo Aviary


3. I introduced my jewelry at Comfest.

We have been trying to get into this festival on and off for a few years. This year we were selected and we met so many cool people and made a few new contacts. Most important, we had a great time and sold some of our labors of love.


Our Global Gal Collection at Comfest





2.  I went on an Ohio Adventure and made new friends.

 I have always wanted to participate in a group event with others who love to explore Ohio. 
My sister and I had the pleasure of joining a meet up planned by My Ohio Adventure, 7Thirty8Apparel and The Campfire Experience. We hiked Slate Run trails, we explored Slate Run Historical Farm, checked out Rockmill Historical Park and ended the day drinking some brews at Rockmill Brewery. 
 
Rockmill Historical Park, Grist mill and bridge


1. I Partied in Brooklyn!

I try to take a trip out of the state at least once a year. This year I went to Brooklyn in celebration of my friend Christina's birthday. I won't get into it because I just recently posted about it here but it was the best event of my summer. I enjoyed spending time away from Ohio with my best friend. It was also great to meet so many creative, business minded people. I love the city almost as much as I love home.

Me in front of our AirBnB in Crown Heights Brooklyn

Until Next Time,

Be blessed! Be free! Be adventurous!

Kris,





No comments:

Post a Comment