Monday, October 3, 2016

Tasty Travels: Cafe Rue Dix Brooklyn



 1451 Bedford Ave @ Park Pl
 Crown Heights, Brooklyn 
 929-234-2543

When I travel, the first thing I get excited about is the food. I am by no means the girl who visits a city to eat at a chain restaurant where I can dine while at home.  I want something delicious and special. I want something that speaks of the city I am visiting. It has to feel like a place that I can only experience there. I ate at a few special places in New York, but nothing stood out like Cafe Rue Dix in Brooklyn.  

On the last day of my trip for Christina's birthday celebration, we walked around the neighborhood with our Airbnb host. We wanted our last meal in the city to be something that we would have a hard time finding in Columbus. It was a restaurant recommended by our Airbnb host in his list of places to check out close to the property. Before we arrived we knew we had to make it a priority. I am not sure I have ever eaten French/Senegalese style food, though I was familiar with African food from a several countries in both West and East Africa. 



 The place was intimate with a little over a handful of tables. The bar, the focal point of the place, was decorated with West African masks with cowrie shell covered gourds used as lighting. There were beautiful West African geometric patterns found on the bar, at the tables and on the front of the building.

 

The food speaks for itself as well. The presentation is beautiful but the taste is just as pleasing. Christina and I fell in love with the Senegalese spring rolls, so much so that we are still salivating over them a month later. They were a a delicious combinations of spicy beef and shrimp served over kale. I ordered the "National plate of Senegal", theThiebou Jen, a very tender stewed fish which was served over a mound of rice with cabbage and carrots.The fish had a beautiful flaky texture. It was  full of flavor with a tolerable spicy kick. The vegetables were also very tender like you would expect from being stewed. They took on the flavor of the seasoned liquid that they were probably soaking in, as they were also slightly spicy. 

I can't speak much about my lunch companions selections but the consensus was that everyone enjoyed their food.  Our AirB&B host ordered the portobello sandwich and Christina had the Yassa Gunimar, a stewed chicken and rice dish, which she washed down with hot chai tea served from a beautiful red tea pot. 

I regret that I wasn't able to try more items on the menu or to try the native coffee or one of the interesting beers they had available from West Africa. After nights of cocktails mixed with pepper, all I wanted was water. I hope to return in the near future to have a proper tasting of their menu offerings but I couldn't just not mention this visit. It was truly one of the best tasting meals I have had in a while.
  
Senegalese Spring Rolls
Chai Tea

Stewed Fish
Christina & I Thanks to Airbnb Host Niya

Until Next time,
Be blessed! Be free! Be adventurous! 
Kris,

No comments:

Post a Comment