Monday, November 2, 2015

Another Year, Another Chance



 
Friday I celebrated my 34th birthday. Like most people I used the day for reflection and an excuse to overeat and  party with friends. Well, really that was my weekend. I didn't do any crazy partying but I drank and ate like a queen per my girlfriend Gayima's suggestion. I smiled a lot, I counted my blessings and I took note of those who were around for my day and weekend. 

I remember the things I cared about in my twenties. I loved to go to the club and sometimes I drank until I was sick. I planned my outfits days, sometimes weeks, in advance and I went to all of the big parties. Now, in my mid-thirties I love a low key situation. Partying to me means visiting a winery, brewery or having dinner and being loud with friends. In my thirties I have started traditions like taking a food tour on or around my birthday. This was the fourth birthday that I've taken a food tour with Columbus Food Adventures. Food tours have become one of my favorite activities. I wish twenty year old me discovered food tours long ago. I wish twenty year old me discovered many things before now. I wish I discovered travel so that I would not feel like I was playing catch up now. There are many things I would do differently knowing the things I know now.

 There are also just as many things that I am glad I did. I am glad I went off to Los Angles after high school to go to FIDM even if I only stayed a year.  I can say I lived on the West Coast. I was on the show Change of Heart, where I fell in love with Venice Beach and Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. I got my first and only tattoo on that date at a parlor on Venice Beach. I saw a lot of movies before they came out those days participating in test audiences. I shopped Rodeo Drive and Melrose Ave. I met amazing people and some that I wanted to strangle. 

I am glad I took a year off then transferred to The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale. Everything happens for a reason because I got to spend time with my dad before his untimely death. We went to concerts together, traveled and had arguments. I feel blessed to have been able to argue with my dad just as much as the fun. I would trade so many things to have an  argument with my dad again. 

I am glad that in my late twenties and early thirties, I really started to explore Ohio. My local travels have really opened my eyes to the world. Local travel has created a thirst in me to explore the world. So my hopes are to make that happen while in my thirties. As long as I have another day, week or year, I plan to live my life exploring, learning and sharing. Each day or year is another chance to do something inspiring. Each minute, day or year I am blessed with another chance to work on being happy.


Grateful & Blessed
Kris,

Photos from my weekend


For more photos find me on instagram @krisofohio!

No comments:

Post a Comment