Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Motts Military Museum


(photo credit)

Saturday it rained just about the entire day, which made it a great day to visit a museum. Motts Military Museum is in Groveport, Ohio, an area I don't visit much. I am a super fan of Groupon and the one I bought for the museum was about to expire after Saturday. I am really bad about cashing in the deals at the last possible minute. However, I am glad I waited so long because I managed to catch the founder of the museum. Warren Motts was giving tours personally. I am not sure how rare and special this is but it felt like I was a VIP. The museum covers The American Revolution, The Civil War and both World Wars into more recent wars. They have the second largest collection of Holocaust memorabilia as well as the second largest collection of memorabilia from 9/11. The Holocaust and  9/11 items are in storage until the museum can raise enough money for  proper displays but if you ask and there is enough staff present, you can get a quick look at some of these items. Unfortunately, my photos did not come out the greatest from my phone because of lighting issues; so a portion of my images are borrowed. Photos that aren't mine have credits attached.

 Mr. Motts personally took us out to a hanger size building where he opened the doors revealing a caved in fire truck from 9/11. The truck belonged to Ladder 18 and was crushed under the second tower of the World Trade Center. He explained that he was raising money to create a 9/11 display that would also include the marble floors from the World Trade Center, so that you can stand on the floors of the World Trade Center while looking at the truck and other 9/11 memorabilia. This was the highlight of my experience. I took photos in front of the truck but couldn't allow myself to smile because of the seriousness of the display. Though no one died in the fire truck; the two firemen who were manning the truck survived after diving underneath it before the tower fell. Somehow, the tires held up and gave the men shelter from the falling building.




As someone who studied fashion, I found myself paying extra special attention to uniforms and clothing items. There is a wedding dress displayed made from a parachute from WWII. There was also a section of the personal Presidential plates used in the White House from the terms of Presidents like Grant, Monroe, Jackson and Lincoln.

Those who love the big toys and war machines, there are the normal things that you'd expect to see at a military museum. There are guns from just about all the wars represented. There are vehicles like tanks and jeeps. There are planes,  helicopters and a boat. 



Other displays of interest are the NASA Exhibit, a Medals Exhibit, POW Exhibit and a  life size replica of the childhood home of Eddie Rickenbacker. The replica home has some original items and is set up as it was during his childhood, with help from family members.
Replica of Eddie Rickenbaker's Childhood Home (photo credit)
 A rainy day doesn't have to to be a bust or a day shut inside. I love being outside but the rain gave me a reason to check out another great museum that I almost postponed visiting. The Motts Military Museum has something for everyone. If you aren't into military memorabilia or history, there are presidential items, uniforms that both men and women wore during those historic times and machines you barely ever see close up. Check it out this summer or when you get the chance!

 Until next time,
Be blessed! Be free! Be adventurous!
Kris,






No comments:

Post a Comment