Monday, December 22, 2014

Holiday Overload! The Must See Holiday Displays in Columbus of 2014

Yay! It's almost Christmas! For the last three years, I have gone out in search of free light displaysI have tried to research light displays online to no availThere are always forums of people asking where the best residential light displays are around town with little to go on. The last two years I have visited the same two houses, so I sought out leads last week on social media. This year I lucked out with a few new finds. 

These displays are beautiful or beautifully tacky. They are the kind of displays that take months to create and rack up hundreds of dollars in energy bills but we love the way they make us feel when we look at them. They evoke precious memories of our childhood when things were simpler and exciting. They remind us of the days when some of us believed in magic. 

On Christmas Eve, after Christmas dinner or after you see the new Christmas movie release you've been waiting on; take a drive around the Columbus area to check out these cool displays. After all, this is something we only get to see once a year. 

1. All American Christmas 

This house is in my neighborhood, so I have visited this house for three years. This is one of my favorite displays because the design is always well thought out  and executed. It is the cleanest light display of the bunch. It changes a little every year. This year my neighbor added a lit American flag. Since I did not get any close up details, the second photo is a photo of what he did two years ago for a comparison. I loved the gift wrap windows that year.

Find it on the west side of Columbus on Richardson between Eakin and Mound.

Richardson December 2014
December 2012
2. The Christmas Melting Pot

This is another house I have visited the last three years. I call it the 'Christmas Melting Pot' because there is a little of everything in this display. The lawn is covered in wooden cut outs, wire figures and so on. I love this display because it is soooo over the top. I have never been by for any other holidays but I hear this house goes all out for more than just Christmas. There is also a house on the street to the right of this one that almost made my list. It is beautifully decorated but just not crazy enough for me.

Find this house in Upper Arlington off Riverside Dr. on Guilford Rd/Cambridge

Guilford Rd/ Cambridge 2014
details: Santas in the windows and hanging from the house

3. Land of Lights

This residence is new to me this yearIt was one of the leads I got on social media. It is on a large piece of property not too far from where I live. I am surprised I had not been until now since they have been creating this display for many years. The tradition of their holiday decorating has been passed down to the second generation. The display which spans over the property starting from a very long driveway includes 50,500 lightsIt was impossible for me to get the entire display in one photo. Even two wasn't enough. You are going  to have to check it out for yourselves. Don't be intimidated by the long driveway. They expect you to pull in.

Find this home on the west side of Columbus on Valley View Dr. off Hague. It is across from the YMCA.

Valley View Dr/ Hague December 2014
Details: figures are spread out all over the property December 2014

 4. The Musical Toy Box

This is the first year I visited this home. I am not a fan of blow up figures but this home became my second favorite. Not only is it colorful and fun but there is music. While you take in the colorful blinking lights and all of the blow-up  figures including a red M&M, Christmas songs permeate the air. I wanted to sit in front of this house forever.

Find this home on Santa Maria Drive in Grove City off La Rosa Dr.

Santa Maria Dr. December 2014
details: Lit arches to the garage that blink December 2014

I hope this post will help those of you looking for lights in Columbus this year. For my readers in other cities, you may want to check out the Tacky Light Tour site. There isn't much there for my area but there are locations for so many other cities. Thank you Stephanie for all of the great leads! I had such a great time looking at these homes. They were better than anything I expected.
Those of you who have anymore lights I need to check out in the Columbus area, please feel free to share. If I visit them I will add them to the blog and give you a shout out!

Until next time
Be blessed! Be Free! Be Adventurous!
Kris,


No comments:

Post a Comment