Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Cure To Boredom

The Cure to Boredom

Honda Indy 200 2012 at Mid-Ohio

We have all been guilty of claiming boredom from time to time.  These days I understand being bored is usually my own fault. At least that is what I learned some time ago. I haven't really been bored very much since.  What changed? I decided to develop a habit of  saying yes to trying new things. Because of this I have gone to a Honda Indy car race, many 80's rock band concerts and learned that I really love Tom Yum. We get into the habit of doing the same things over and over and expecting something exciting to just present  itself.  I remember going out with my girlfriends every weekend to the same club, sitting in the same section peering down at the people on the dance floor while drinking the same drink, Patron on the rocks.  We were always doing something but complaining about being bored. One day we began planning activities that took us away from the clubs with a core group of women . Now once a month we meet to have girl time and try new physical activities, food experiences and more.  Since we started six or so years ago, we have attended a pole dance class, tried laughter yoga, and met out for sushi with a side of karaoke. This past weekend we had a belly dancing lesson which was so much fun, by the way.

Along with being busy planning activities for the group, I created some lists for myself of  things I want to do, see, learn or eat. Once I cross off an item, sometimes more items get added to the list. I would like to try squirrel meat, real absinthe, go zip lining and take a helicopter ride.  These things on my various lists aren't just things I want to experience, I WILL experience as many of them as I am blessed with the time to do so. Some of you would call my list a bucket list but I see it as simply a cure for boredom.

If you find yourself bored often, think about some things you would like to be doing and grab a notebook. Make a list of things you want to try then make an effort to do something at least once a month. It could be as simple as trying a new restaurant, visiting a park you have never been to in your city or go bigger if you have the money to do so .  A lot of things require research and just looking up information in preparation for your experience can be exciting. Remember the important part is to actually MAKE IT HAPPEN! It could be really fun and you will learn so much about yourself.

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments:

Post a Comment